Undergraduate Engineering Research Stipend-2013
- Support students and faculty in the development and utilization of “experienced based learning” activities in the undergraduate engineering research.
- Provide opportunities for students to complete the undergraduate research criteria of the Engineer of 2020.
- $40,000 total for student support ($3840 per student for the summer) and some materials (no funding for faculty or graduate student support)
- Funds will be available beginning 5-15-2013 and must be expended by 8-12-2013
- Two students accepted per faculty (maximum)
Awards are competitive. The selection will be based on the rubric provided below.
Student submission (750 word maximum)
- Clear research objective
- Clear description of the need/motivation for the proposed research
- Clear description of activities performed/method used in research work
- Description of how proposal aligns with student’s career goals
- Budget described
- Undergraduate student (includes current WSU students, incoming freshmen and transfer students pursuing their first four-year college degree)
- Declared a major in the College of Engineering at WSU
- Minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (high school, community college or WSU)
- Full-time enrollment (Twelve semester hours) for Fall 2013.
- Faculty support
- Student is not eligible until an email is sent to Dr. Whitman stating that:
By sending this email, I agree to supervise this project and to submit a progress
report when requested. I have read the research proposal and find it reasonable
and well-defined. The student and I have discussed the research proposal and
my expectations for the project. I agree to meet regularly with student, to help
produce a work plan and a timetable, and to provide guidance to the student
throughout the project.
- Undergraduate student submits application on-line
- Student emails resume to Anna Sharpe
- Faculty emails support of student proposal
- Complete packages are due by: April 21, 2013
- Reviews are completed by 2020 committee
Students are required to present any research results at the WSU Undergraduate Research Forum (URCAF) in 2014.