WSU-ICAA CONCUSSION MANAGEMENT PLAN
- All WSU-ICAA student-athletes will have baseline testing done which includes SCAT3 testing (see SCAT3 baseline) prior to participation in athletic activity.
- When a student-athlete sustains a concussion or closed head injury or an athletic trainer is made aware of a potential injury, a field evaluation takes place. When time allows, an
evaluation utilizing the SCAT3 form should be done.
- The athletic trainer contacts one of the team physicians to share with them the information gained from the SCAT3 evaluation and to decide whether further referral is needed.
- The student-athlete is held out of all athletic activities (practice, competition, weight lifting and conditioning) until cleared by a team physician.
- The athletic trainer contacts an academic student service representative to make them aware of the condition of the student-athlete and determine any changes to the student-athlete’s
- The student-athlete is taken through the Symptom Tracking Sheet daily until they are asymptomatic, at which time they are taken through a SCAT3 evaluation.
- Once the student-athlete is asymptomatic and their results have been reviewed by a team physician, a graduated return-to-play protocol determined by the athletic trainer and team physician will
be followed as referenced in the Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport, Zurich, 2012.
Concussion Awareness - Informational Video
Concussions: Don't Hide It, Report It, Take Time to Recover - Informational Video