The Council of University Women was organized in 1930. When established, its purpose was to raise funds for helping new female students at the University of Wichita through a scholarship fund. It was also the intent of its organizers to foster fellowship and friendliness among the female faculty and professional staff. In 1977, the constitution was revised to include all female employees as eligible for membership.
Today, the purpose of the Council of University Women is to serve in the spirit of friendliness, to grow personally and to perpetuate the Council of University Women Endowed Scholarship Fund that was established in 1990. Each year CUW organizes a series of luncheons with guest speakers, as well as fundraisers to promote these goals.