At Wichita State University the Department of Dental Hygiene consists of two programs offering an entry-level bachelors of science degree and degree completion degree in Dental Hygiene. Dental
Hygiene graduates may choose to pursue the baccalaureate degree completion program as long as they possess an accreditated associates degree in dental hygiene.
Mission and Vision
At Wichita State University the Department of Dental Hygiene is a learning community dedicated to excellence and innovation in:
- Educating and mentoring dental hygiene students and professionals
- Community involvement and partnerships
- Professional development and scholarship
Goals of the Dental Hygiene Program
- Provide an entry-level bachelor of science degree in Dental Hygiene in this geographic area which will attempt to meet societal needs.
- Provide educational experiences which will enable program graduates to achieve licensure as a dental hygienist in any state.
- Provide a bachelor of science completion degree in dental hygiene for associate degree dental hygiene graduates.
- Provide educational experiences which will enhance students’ ability to practice in alternative settings.
The objectives of the program are:
- Maintain a quality accredited curriculum consistent with the program mission, vision, and values. (BSDH)
- Review and monitor board performance with results expected to be at or above the regional or national average. (BSDH)
- Document regular assessment and modification of the curriculum and program. (BSDH, BSDH-completion)
- Maintain student, faculty, and program policies as required by CODA and WSU, as applicable. (BSDH, BSDH-completion)
- Maintain student, faculty, and clinic records as required by CODA and WSU, as applicable. (BSDH, BSDH-completion)
Student Objectives for Assessment
- Students will obtain the academic and clinical foundation required to practice as dental team member that develops and implements comprehensive dental hygiene care. (BSDH)
- Students will successfully complete the National Board Examination. (BSDH)
- Student will successfully complete a Clinical Board Examination. (BSDH)
- Students will have an appropriate level of knowledge of dental hygiene practice as assessed by their employer. (BSDH)
- Students will have an appropriate level of knowledge of dental hygiene practice as self- assessed as a graduate. (BSDH)
- Students will have an acceptable level of satisfaction with the program as self-assessed just prior to graduation.
- Students will develop appropriate clinical teaching skills as assessed by faculty mentors. (BSDH-completion)
- Students will be able to assess, plan, implement and evaluate community-based oral health programs. (BSDH, BSDH-completion)
The entry-level Dental Hygiene program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation.