Role of the Faculty Adviser
Students will meet with a faculty adviser once a year. For the faculty member to be effective in the advising process, they must:
- Take an interest in the student as a person and track his/her progress
- Assist the student in the navigation of the curriculum.
- Know the university policies and procedures and campus resources available to the students
- Respond to the students' requests for an appointment in a timely manner (within one week)
- Take the time to provide meaningful academic and career advice
- Create a respectful and supportive atmosphere during advising sessions
- Avoid any appearance of preferential treatment or conflict of interest
- Discourage students from violating institutional policies
- Maintain highest standards of professional conduct
- Assist the student in setting long-term academic and career goals
- Recognize the limitations of his/her authority and be willing to ask for assistance from the department chair and/or Engineering Student Success Center.