The Shocker Leadership Awards is a New Initiative to recognize the work of student lead organizations, students, faculty and staff at Wichita State University. Recognized student organizations,
university affiliated student groups and individuals may be nominated by a student, faculty member, staff member, organization or may nominate themselves for one of the Awards. One application form
must be completed for every award for which one wishes to be considered. A nomination must have all parts to be considered by the selection committee. It is the responsibility of the nominator to
turn in a complete packet. All forms must be submitted by 5:00pm on March 29, 2013 to Student Involvement.
1. Outstanding Organization of the Year is presented to a recognized student organizations or university affiliated student group that has made outstanding contributions to student engagement and has positively impacted the campus community.
2. New Student Organization of the Year is presented to a recognized student organizations or university affiliated student group that has made great strides to establish itself on campus in its first year and has contributed to student engagement on campus.
3. Outstanding Community Service Program is presented to an organization for planning and implementing a program or event that made great strides towards reaching WSU’s Metropolitan mission of foster the cultural, economic and social development.
4. New Program of the Year is presented to an organization or group that plans and implements a new program that exhibits creativity and originality.
5. Overall Most Outstanding Program of the Year is presented to an organization or group for conceiving, planning and implementing an outstanding program that demonstrates collaboration, diversity, leadership and relevance to college students.
6. Advisor of the Year goes to an individual faculty or staff member who has displayed an exemplary level of dedication and commitment to the organization they have advised.
7. Outstanding Service to the Community is presented to a student who exemplifies a character of service and giving to the WSU community and/or the community at large.
8. Rising Star Award goes to an undergraduate student who has completed less than 60 credit hours who has shown tremendous growth over the past academic year and who is emerging as a leader at WSU.
9. Advocate Award goes to a student who boldly speaks out and takes action in support of a cause affecting Wichita State University students or the community at large to promote change and raise awareness.
10. Outstanding Student Leader Award goes to a student who has more than 60 credit hours, or is a graduate student, and has provided outstanding service to the Wichita State University community and the community at large.
• Applications will not be judged by the same panel of judges. Awards will be split up and each will be given to a set of 3-4 judges to review.
• Judges will review packets April 2nd- April 9th.
• Judges will be WSU faculty and staff and will not be affiliated with the group, individual or program that they are reviewing the award. Student Involvement staff will not serve as judges for any award or be eligible for any of the awards.
• Judging criteria will be based on requirements in the 500 word essay and every bullet is worth 5 points within the essay portion.
• If there is only 1 (one) nomination in any given category, the applicant must obtain at least 75% of the maximum score in order to win.
• If there is a tie the judges will deliberate and decide on the final winner.
February 1st Applications available
March 29th Applications Due
April 3rd-10th Application Review
April 30th Awards Banquet
For more information or questions please contact Lyston Skerritt at email@example.com