2012 Shocker MINDSTORMS Challenge
Robot Zoo Registration is now closed.
The Robot Zoo Exhibition/Competition is for those who like to build and program robots, but don't want to compete in the traditional MINDSTORMS Challenge events. Individuals or teams (maximum
of 4 people - any age) can enter. Tables will be set up in an area of the gym designated for the Robot Zoo (near the MOC).
The guidelines for a Robot Zoo entry are simple:
- Imagine a zoo animal in its habitat. It can be a real animal like a tiger or giraffe; an animal from a fantasy book like a dragon or a unicorn; an animal from a science fiction movie like a
Tauntaun; or a completely imaginary animal that you dream up.
- Build a habitat where your animal lives. It could include grass or trees or caves or whatever is appropriate for your animal. Your habitat will sit on the floor and can be no larger than 4'
- Build your robot to look and move like your animal. Be creative. Add hair or claws or a tail.
- Program your robot to respond to something in its environment. For instance, your animal could move toward and "eat" certain foods; or your animal could withdraw when it sees
- Provide a handout or sign that tells about your animal. You might include information about habitat, lifespan, food and other basic needs, or how it interacts with its environment.
- Set up your display by 10:00 am on Challenge Day. All those attending are invited to vote for their favorite Robot Zoo display. Voting will take place from 12:45pm - 2:00pm.
Use your imagination! The idea is to have fun and create something unique and different. If you want some ideas, take a look at the animals created by some teachers at WSU's Robot Zoo Workshop. There is also a great book on building zoo animals, LEGO
MINDSTORMS NXT ZOO! by Fay Rhodes. (If you would like to borrow a copy of this book to get some ideas, contact Karen Reynolds.)
If you have questions, email Karen Reynolds, firstname.lastname@example.org
And, don't forget the MOC (My Own Creation) Competition where you can create ANYTHING out of 100% LEGO parts!