WSU 101 – Introduction to the University
Bigger Opportunities. Bigger Rewards.
WSU 101 is a 3-credit course designed to assist students in transitioning into the first year of college. Taught through the Office for Faculty Development and Student Success, WSU 101 helps
students form connections with each other, with faculty, with campus services, and with the institution as a whole. In addition to other course projects, students will create an individualized
graduation plan through a collaborative process that involves academic advisors, the course instructor, and peer leaders assigned to the course. Students who take advantage of this opportunity to
learn the skills for success in college are more likely to complete their degree programs and to do so in a timely manner.
Goals of WSU 101
Upon successful completion of this course, students will:
- Be connected to faculty members, a peer mentor, fellow students, and the campus in general.
- Know how to use and develop your personal learning style to maximize your academic success.
- Have increased knowledge of effective techniques and habits for time management, studying, test taking and academic writing, and utilize campus resources when necessary to ensure academic
- Know how and why to join student organizations and participate in campus events.
- Appreciate the value of diversity in society and know more about interacting with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Know where to locate and how to access the resources WSU provides for students.
- Have a detailed plan for completing your degree.
- Explore career options that would be a good fit for your strengths and interests and know how to prepare to be successful in the workforce.
- Know the basics of personal finance and the do’s and don’ts for using money in college.
- Be familiar with WSU’s history and traditions
- Be aware of and practice behaviors that promote health and wellness.
- Know how to use WSU’s electronic resources, including Library resources, myWSU and Blackboard.
See the Schedule of Courses for specific information such as class times.