Wichita State University Credit for PLTW High School Courses
Frequently Asked Questions
How does a student qualify to earn WSU college credit for high school PLTW courses?
- Complete IED (Introduction to Engineering Design) or POE (Principles of Engineering) at a PLTW certified school
- Earn 85% or better in IED or POE class
- Score 6 or higher on the PLTW End-Of-Course exam(s)
- Be admitted as a High School Guest to Wichita State University
- Complete and submit the Application for WSU Credit for High School PLTW courses
- Pay $200 for each course for which he/she wants to earn credit
How does a student get admitted as a high school guest to Wichita State?
- Students must complete a High School Guest Admission Application and pay
a one-time fee of $30, payable to WSU Admissions. IMPORTANT: When students complete the application, they should write "PLTW" under their name when they sign the
How much does the credit cost?
- The cost for 3 hours of credit (either for IED or POE) is $200. A check needs to be submitted with the student's application.
How will the credit appear on a student’s WSU transcript?
- Students who qualify by completing IED will earn 3 hours credit for IME 222, Engineering Graphics
- Student who qualify by completing POE will earn 3 hours credit for ENGR 101, Introduction to Engineering
Will the credit earned for IME 222 or ENGR 101 transfer to other universities?
- The credit appears on the student’s transcript exactly the way it would appear if the classes were taken at WSU and the same transfer rules apply.
Does a student need to take additional classes at WSU to earn the college credit?
- A student will receive 3 hours of undergraduate credit for either IED or POE after he/she enrolls in and completes at least one additional course at WSU. The credit will be ungraded and will
add 3 hours toward an engineering degree, but will not affect the student’s GPA.
How long after completing IED or POE can a student apply for WSU credit?
- Students can apply for WSU credit up to two years after completing a PLTW course. (Example: if a PLTW course is completed in May 2013, deadline for application meeting all requirements is May
If a student has graduated from high school, how long can he/she wait to apply for WSU college credit?
- Applications for WSU college credit must be submitted by August 1 of the year in which the student graduates from high school.
Can I apply for credit after I enroll for classes at WSU?
- Applications will not be accepted after the student is enrolled as a full-time student at WSU.
Are changes planned for how a student earns WSU credit for PLTW classes?
- Beginning August 1, 2015, new guidelines will be in effect regarding WSU credit for high school PLTW courses.
Are there other universities that offer credit for students completing PLTW courses?
- Yes, there are other universities that award credit to students completing PLTW courses. Requirements and ability to transfer credit vary by institution.