One of SGA’s primary charges is to enhance the educational, social, and cultural experiences of the members of the Association. Each year, SGA allocates student fees for undergraduate and
graduate students traveling to conferences to present research or advance their knowledge in a way that benefits the student and WSU. Applications must be submitted to the SGA office in RSC 261 at
least 45 days before departure for travel.
Please keep in mind that SGA receives a high volume of funding requests. Once an individual funding application has been submitted to SGA and reviewed by the SGA Treasurer, the applicant must meet
with the Budget and Finance Committee to discuss the merits of the request. These meetings are held on Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m.
Applications are either approved and recommended to Senate the next week for final approval or denial, or denied by a consensus of the committee members.
The individual funding process is outlined in S027 of the Legislative Journal, the Association’s Funding Act. Below is a link for reference.
Below are some of the key guidelines of individual funding as listed in the SGA Legislative Journal.
- Funding shall be reserved for students presenting papers, plays, or other projects or representing the university at a scholarly event.
- An individual may be eligible for funding once a fiscal year, with the fiscal year being defined as July 1st through June 30th.
- The Association shall fund a maximum of four individuals to attend any one conference, play, or any other event.
- No funds shall be allocated for:
- Recreational activities.
- Publication costs.
The total reimbursement for individual travel shall not exceed the actual expenses incurred and correctly-documented, funded expenses.
- Registration: Up to 50% of the actual cost of registration, up to maximum of $100.
- Lodging: Up to $50 per lodging night of travel, up to maximum of $200 per funding request.
- Travel: Only one form of travel may be funded per request.
- Up to $400 can be allocated for car travel, calculated at $.55 per mile roundtrip.
- Up to $300 can be allocated for domestic air travel, $700 for international.
It is important for applicants to understand that SGA funding is intended to be a form of supplemental funding, not a means of completely financing travel. SGA funding is in the form of
reimbursement to the individual, meaning the student must supply all original receipts to receive the approved amount of money after returning from travel. Receipts must be submitted to the SGA
office within seven days upon returning from travel for the reimbursement to be processed.
The individual funding application can be found under Required Documents. Please submit the completed application with all required supporting documentation.
- Letter of Recommendation: generally from an advisor that is familiar with the applicant's academic ability and can speak to the merit of the funding request.
- Letter of Acceptance to Conference: generally in the form of an email confirmation that can be printed and included with the application.
- Conference Description: generally in the form of a printed website page or screen shot included with the application, also can be a typed document by the applicant.
- Proof of Registration Costs: generally a printed page from the conference website or email confirmation of registration payment.
- Proof of Roundtrip Mileage (car travel): generally calculated by online map service, such as Google Maps, that includes information on the route and roundtrip mileage.
- Flight Itinerary (air travel): generally in the form of an email confirmation; it is understandable that applicants that have not yet purchased airfare will not have a flight itinerary.
- 3 Airfare quotes (air travel): generally in the form of a printed page from an airfare website (i.e. Expedia, Orbitz, Kayak).
- University Sanctioned Travel Form: please click the link below under Additional Documents, complete the form and submit with the funding application; the USTR is for the purpose of maintaining
the traveler’s emergency contact information while representing the university (the form says it must be submitted to the Vice President of Campus Life and University Relations but SGA will
perform that task).
- W9: necessary for SGA reimbursement if the applicant is approved for funding.
- DA130 and voided check or deposit slip: only necessary if the applicant is a University employee; this document and the voided check or receipt allow for direct deposit reimbursement.
Individual Funding Request Application
University Sanctioned Travel Form (required with application)
W-9 (required with application)
The W-9 and DA-130 forms are necessary for reimbursement if the applicant is approved.
The SGA Treasurer can be contacted with questions about the funding process at firstname.lastname@example.org and 316-978-7062.