Woodwinds and Brass- DFAC Room TBA
Monday, August 20 8:00am – 4:30pm
Tuesday, August 21 12:30pm – 4:30pm
Rhythm Section (Guitar, Drums, Piano, Bass) - DFAC Room C104
Wednesday, August 22 12:30pm - 1:20pm
It is to the advantage of all students to prepare for auditions as outlined in item numbers 1,2,3 and 4(saxophonists including 5) that follow. Item numbers 1,2,3 and 4 are required of all music majors and returning students. In the event that an incoming Freshman Student or Transfer Student has not or is unable to prepare item numbers 1, 2 and 3, he/she will be asked to sight-read per item number 4. All students are asked to prepare to the best of his/her ability.
1. Etude: Be prepared to play a jazz etude or a be-bop head to displaying time feel and eighth note concept (i.e. Donna Lee, Confirmation, Ornithology)
2. Play a B-Flat Blues scale though out the range of the instrument (woodwinds, brass, guitar)
3. Improvisation: B-Flat Blues (woodwinds, brass, guitar)
4. Sight Reading: All students will be asked to sight-read two (2) excerpts demonstrating swing and straight-eighth feels
5. Saxophonists should be prepared to demonstrate doubling abilities if capable of doing so
Sign-up for an audition time on the Bulletin Board located outside DFAC Room TBA. Arrive at the audition at least 5 minutes early to complete the online Band Personnel Information prior to the audition. Auditions should take approximately 5 minutes.
Audition results will be posted Thursday, August 23, on the Bulletin Board located outside of DFAC C104.
Jazz Arts Ensemble Course Numbers:
Freshmen and Sophomores - Music P 211T
Juniors and Seniors - Music P 411T
Graduate Students - Music P 711T