Bands Graduate Teaching Assistant
Athletic Bands Director
DFAC C114 / 316-978-6221
Bands Graduate Teaching Assistant
Assistant Athletic Bands Director
DFAC C114 / 316-978-6221
Graduate Administrative Assistant
DFAC B104 / 316-978-5725
Michael Berryhill is a first year Graduate Teaching Assistant with the WSU Bands program and is the Director of the Shocker Sound Basketball Band. Michael has been the Director of Bands at Southern Baptist Educational Center (SBEC) in Southaven, MS for the past three years and was the assistant director the three years before. During his time there the SBEC Band and it’s ensembles won countless awards and participated in events around the country. Michael holds a Bachelor of Music Education degree from Mississippi State University (MSU) where he was a clarinet marching band squad leader, chapter president of the Music Educators National Conference (MENC), warden of the MSU chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia, and member of the MSU wind ensemble, marching band, jazz band, clarinet choir, saxophone choir, and vocal choir.
Michael is exceptional in his field as a woodwind specialist, music educator, marching show designer, and arranger. His marching show arrangements have won numerous awards across the
mid-south and nation, including the Memphis Bandmasters Championship and Bands of America. Michael is a member of the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) and a past member of the
Hernando DeSoto Band Directors Association (HDBDA). He is happily married to his wife Joy who teaches English at Wellington (KS) High School.
Trent Warbis is a second year Graduate Teaching Assistant with the WSU Bands pursuing an M.M. in Instrumental Conducting degree with Dr. Victor Markovich. Trent is also the Assistant Director of the Shocker Sound Basketball Band. Originally from Boise, Idaho, he holds a Bachelor of Music in Trumpet Performance from Boise State University.
While attending Boise State, Trent performed with the University Orchestra and the University Symphonic Winds, including traveling with the Symphonic Winds to play at the CBDNA National Convention in Seattle, Washington in 2011. He guest conducted the Boise State All-Campus band, and was also a member of the Blue Thunder Marching Band for three years, one of which he served as section leader. He has studied conducting with Professor Marcellus Brown, and trumpet with Professor Brown and Dennis Keck, a member of the Boise Philharmonic.
Alexis Korbe is in her second year as a Graduate Assistant pursuing a Masters of Music in Flute Performance with Dr. Frances Shelly. Originally from Hays, Kansas, she holds a Bachelors of Music in Flute Performance degree and a Bachelors of Arts in French degree from Fort Hays State University.
While attending Fort Hays State University, Alexis participated and held section leader positions in several ensembles including FHSU Symphonic Winds/Wind Ensemble, Fort Hays Singers, Concert Choir, Flute Choir, Marching Band, Hays Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble II, Percussion Ensemble, The Heartland Community Theatre and has performed in several operas and opera scenes. She toured Taiwan with the Fort Hays Singers in 2007 and studied abroad at the Université de Franche-Comté in Besançon, France in 2008. She represented Sigma Alpha Iota as the voting delegate/President for the Alpha Pi Chapter at the National Convention in 2009. Upon graduation, she won the Lyle Dilley Outstanding Band Musician Award. In Wichita, Alexis has performed with the Wichita Grand Opera Chorus, held the Soprano Soloist position at East Heights United Methodist Church, and performed at Crown Uptown Theatre in their production of “Hairspray.”
Prior to graduate school, Alexis worked for U.S.D. 489 as a middle school choir accompanist. She played for various performances around the district including keyboard 2 for the high school musicals, dinner shows, and playing for elementary school concerts. She also taught private voice, flute, and piano lessons.
Dan Flores is a returning graduate student pursuing his Masters in Music with an emphasis in trumpet performance studying with Dr. David Hunsicker. A Hutchinson and Wichita area native, Dan holds a Bachelor of Music in trumpet from Wichita State University. Dan has done additional graduate studies at Roosevelt University (Chicago), Northeastern Illinois University (Chicago), and at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
As a professional trumpet player, Dan has performed in various orchestral and jazz freelance groups in Chicago, as well as solo work across the city. In Wichita, he has performed with the Epic Brass Quintet, The Swing Daddies, and as a soloist. At Wichita State, Dan was a winner of the Concerto Aria Competition, performing the Arutunian Trumpet Concerto with the WSU Symphony Orchestra in 2004. He also performed with the Symphonic Wind Ensemble under Dr. Markovich. In Hutchinson, Dan performed with the Hutchinson Community College Jazz I and combo under Bryce Luty from 1995-2000.
Dan taught band in the public school systems for two years and continues to teach privately.
His principal teachers in addition to Dr. Hunsicker include William Scarlett of the Chicago Symphony, Tim Morrison from the Los Angeles area, as well as additional brief studies with Philip Smith of the New York Philharmonic, and Goni Eshed, a protégé of Hakan Hardenberger.
• Athena Chen – Graduate Student – Master of Music in Performance
• Alexis Korbe – Graduate Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Veronica Mascaro – Graduate Teaching Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Haley Roe – Bastian Fellow – Master of Music in Performance
• Alica Tape – Graduate Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Vanessa Davies – Graduate Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Amanda Martin – Graduate Teaching Assistant – Master of Music Education in Special Music Education
• Michael Berryhill – Graduate Teaching Assistant – Master of Music Education in Conducting
• Yang Zhao – Graduate Assistant – Fall Semester 2013 – Master of Music in Performance
• Keith Petersen – Graduate Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Nicholas Ciulla – Graduate Teaching Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Dan Flores – Graduate Teaching Assistant – Fall Semester 2013 – Master of Music in Performance
• Trent Warbis – Graduate Teaching Assistant – Master of Music in Conducting
• Erika Binsley – Graduate Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Jonathan Dozois – Graduate Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Mirella Gauldin – Graduate Assistant – Master of Music in Performance
• Trevor Regier – Wurth Fellow – Master of Music in Performance
• Bryce Mulkey – Graduate Assistant – Fall Semester 2013 – Master of Music in Performance
• Andrew Slater – Graduate Teaching Assistant – Master of Music in Performance