logo
WSU WOMEN'S ASSOCIATION

JPEG Image (615x172)

History

The WSU Women's Association is committed to serving the interests of the university, to providing student scholarships, and to promoting social interaction and a sense of community among its members. 

The association was organized in 1928 as the Faculty Wives Club. Within two years, the group's members changed the club's name to the University of Wichita Dames and adopted a new mission: to develop a student loan fund. From that day forward, many students have attained their college educations through these loans.

In 1973, the Dames took a bold step and established a fund to be used for scholarships rather than loans. Its first fundraiser was held in the concourse of Henry Levitt Arena. It was a large attic sale, or, as it would be called today, a garage sale.

Today, special projects are held each year to build on the organization's endowed scholarship fund, which is managed by the WSU Foundation.