Thank you for visiting the Wichita State University W. Frank Barton School of Business website. The Barton School offers bachelors and masters programs in business and accounting that are fully accredited by AACSB - International, the premier business accreditation agency worldwide. The Barton School is one of only 179 schools globally to hold both business and accounting accreditation from the AACSB. This places the Barton School in the top 1.4 percent of all business programs in the world. We offer the broadest choice of undergraduate business majors in the state.
Historically, the Barton School has been the leading source of business education in the state of Kansas. Here are five reasons why the Barton School is considered one of the premier business schools in the state and the Midwest.
1. Our academic programs. The Barton School is the largest business school in the state of Kansas in terms of undergraduate major choices. We also offer four graduate business degree programs: MBA, Executive MBA, Master of Accountancy, and Master of Arts in Economics. So whether you are seeking an undergraduate or graduate degree, the Barton School is ready to meet your needs.
2. Our faculty. Alumni surveys indicate that the quality of our faculty and teaching are the main factors that make the Barton School experience special. Our dedicated faculty strive to enhance the learning experience of our students while keeping current with cutting-edge research and working directly with regional and national companies. Our Faculty-in-Residence Program, imbeds faculty in companies, yields great benefits for companies while giving our faculty up-to-date real world experience. We are partners in learning with our students and with the business community.
3. Our location. What makes the Barton School truly unique is our location in one of the most important business cities in the United States. Wichita is the number one exporting city in the nation (measured by percent of GDP) and being located in Kansas' business center provides students with the greatest opportunity for internships and cooperative education available in the state of Kansas. Our graduates use their real world experiences in the local business community to set themselves apart. Employer surveys indicate a preference for Barton School graduates given their technical expertise, business experience and work ethic.
4. Our business outreach programs. The Barton School Center for Management Development is one of the longest running university-based training centers in the United States. The CMD offers certificate programs, non-credit management training and executive programs presented to hundreds of professionals every year. When economic development research is needed, the first organization that most Kansans would contact is our Center for Economic Development and Business Research. Entrepreneurs turn to our nationally recognized Center for Entrepreneurship for advice and business start-up training. Our other Centers, the Center for International Business Advancement, Center for Real Estate, and Center for Economic Education provide community outreach programs that benefit business, education and community leaders throughout our geographic area.
5. Our philosophy. The Barton School bases our educational programs on experiential, real-world experience learning. Our international university partnerships give students the opportunity to experience the world while earning their degree. From consulting projects to internships to class projects, Barton School students are learning by doing, not just sitting in a classroom.
I hope that as you explore our website, you will see how the Barton School can meet your educational goals. We look forward to you becoming a part of the only Kansas business school located in the business center of the state of Kansas. Go Shockers!
Cindy Claycomb, Ph.D.
Interim Dean & Professor