1st Annual Birth Clerk Conference
Foundation for Greatness
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Wichita State University Hughes Metropolitan Complex
Office of Vital Statistics
In partnership with
National Center for Health Statistics, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- To provide current and helpful information to birth clerks who collect and report birth certificate data to the Office of Vital Statistics.
- To recognize timeliness of birth certificate reporting.
- To address questions and needs of birth clerks, hospital administrators, and midwives.
V. James Guillory, DO, MPH, FACPM
Dr. Guillory is a Professor of Public Health in the Masters Program, School of Health Management, A. T. Still University (ATSU) in Kirksville, Missouri, and Adjunct Associate Professor of
Preventive Medicine and Public Health at the University of Kansas Medical Center.
He is the President of the Perinatal Association of Kansas and serves on the Kansas Maternal and Child Health Committee and the Kansas Blue Ribbon Panel on Infant Mortality.
Dr. Guillory is board certified in Preventive Medicine/Public Health and in Family Medicine.
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
- 7:30 a.m. Registration & Continental Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. Welcome, Goals, & Objectives
Robert Moser, MD, KDHE Secretary & Rachel Berroth, Director Bureau of Family Health
- 8:50 a.m. Importance of Birth Certificate Data to Public Health
Elizabeth Abbey, M.A. Audiologist SoundBeginning Hearing Screening, Jamey Kendall, RN, Newborn Screening, Birth Defects Linda Williams, MT, Neonatal Blood
Screening, Elizabeth Lawlor, Epidemiologist, Hepatitis B
- 9:30 a.m. Enumeration at Birth
Representative of Social Security Administration
- 10:00 a.m. Break
- 10:15 a.m. Role of Electronic Health Records
Mike McPherson, Project Manager, Health Information Technology & Ryan Burns, Director, Immunization Registry
- 10:45 a.m. Keynote: Statistics Related to Uses of Birth Certificate Data
V. James Guillory, DO, MPH, FACPM, Clinical Epidemiologist & Greg Crawford, Director, Vital Statistics Data Analysis
- 11:15 a.m. Paternity Establishment at Hospital
Tonya Brunson, Manager, Child Support Services, Department for Children & Families
- 11:45 a.m. Lunch & Awards Ceremony
- Donna Calabrese, Director, Office of Vital Statistics & Robin Wolfe, Chief, Registration & Amendment Section
- 1:15 p.m. How to Build a Great Foundation
Sharon Marshall, Supervisor, Registration Unit, Penny Hughes, Supervisor, Amendment Unit, Jim Staehli, Field Representative & Robin Wolfe,
Chief, Registration & Amendment Section
- 2:45 p.m. Break
- 3:00 p.m. How to Build a Great Foundation (continued)
- 4:30 p.m. Adjourn
Pre-registration is required. Please register by March 27, 2013. Continental breakfast and lunch are included. You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of receipt of
your registration form. If you do not, please contact Jennifer Harry at 316-978-6724.
A limited number of Queen Studios have been arranged for conference attendees with the Staybridge Suites, 2250 N. Greenwich Rd., Wichita, KS 67226. Queen Studio Suite room rates are
$86.00 + tax. Reservations must be received by March 12. When you make your reservation, please identify yourself as a Birth Clerk Conference participant. To make reservations
call the Staybridge Suites at 316-927-3888 or reserve a room online at www.wichitastaybridge.com and enter group code BCG.
An addtional room block has been arranged at the Best Western Wichita North, 915 E. 53rd St. North, Wichita, KS 67219. Double Queen Rooms and King Rooms are available at a rate of $69.99+
tax. Reservations must be received by March 19th. When you make your reservation, please identify yourself as a Birth Clerk Conference Participant. to make reservations please
call the Best Western at 316-832-9387.