Composites Structural Engineering Technology (CSET) provides a broad understanding of composite design. It is especially suitable for engineers involved in the design and certification of composite products. Professionals who interface with composite engineers will also find this course worthwhile. Depending on prior knowledge and experience, students will spend up to ten hours per week reviewing materials, participating in online discussions, and testing their knowledge. The course will include a 2-day hands-on laboratory, which is optional but highly recommended.
Basic knowledge of composite materials and structures technology. Independent study materials are provided. This may require 5-10 hours of study.
2. On-line Content Outline (Red annotations indicate approximate course content)
• Introduction (summary of current composite technologies for aircraft certification applications, key technical issues, FAA safety and certification initiatives, and course objectives) 2%
• Challenges of Composite Applications (technical, economic and other challenges facing the application of composite material to aircraft structural components, design and process options, lack of standardization and trained workforce, and evolving technologies) 3%
• Design, Material and Fabrication Development (including product development teams, material and process control, structural design and analysis, environmental issues, bonded and bolted joints, protection of composite structure, flutter/crash/fire/lightning strike considerations, manufacturing and maintenance interfaces, and statistical methods for generation of allowables) 45%
• Proof of Structure (including regulations and guidance, key concepts, compliance approaches, considerations for manufacturing defects and in-service damage, repeated load reliability and load enhancement factors, building block approach to testing and analysis, full-scale testing, and in-service inspection plans) 31%
• Quality Control of Composite Manufacturing Processes (including quality control requirements related to composite manufacturing, the application of differing quality control methods, conformity issues, typical defect dispositions and change approval) 3%
• Maintenance Interface Issues (including regulations/guidance, source documents (SRMs etc.), maintenance teamwork, damage detection and assessment, allowable damage limits, repair processing, and allowable damage and repair substantiation) 6%
• Additional Considerations (including flutter and other aeroelastic issues, crashworthiness, fire and fuel tank safety, and lighting strike issues) 10%
The laboratory will illustrate course principals and consequences of process deviations, such as common composite fabrication tasks, damage, repair, inspection and coupon test methods. Laboratory sessions will be held in June 23 and 24, 2015, in Wichita, Kansas.
May 18- August 28, 2015 (online component- at least 6 hours per week)
June 23 & 24, 2015 (optional hands-on training, onsite component)
Registration Deadline: May 11, 2015
Onsite Time: 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Day 1
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Day 2
National Center for Aviation Training (NCAT)
4004 N Webb Rd.
Wichita, KS 67226
Parking: No parking permit is needed.
The cost to participants is $2,750.00 each and covers both the online and on-site training regardless of whether an individual chooses to attend the optional onsite training. Registration is limited to 22 individuals and will be accepted on a first come first serve basis. Registration includes course materials, breakfast, lunch and all breaks at the onsite training. You may register and pay on-line at www.wichita.edu/conferences. Space is limited so register quickly to reserve your spot. If the class fills prior to your registering you will be placed on a waiting list for possible future classes.
All cancellations must be made in writing. A 15% administrative fee will be assessed on all cancellations (this includes purchase orders). There will be no refunds after May 11, 2015. WSU reserves the right to cancel the program due to lack of enrollment. In that event, WSU will refund any pre-paid course fees but will not be responsible for any incidental or consequential damages.