Military Deployment Information

Wichita State University recognizes the special circumstances faced by our students who are being deployed for military service. The following is a brief outline of what is required by various offices to assist you with your withdrawal from WSU and your return to WSU. These procedures are for students whose deployment will exceed 30 days (Real World Deployment), not for weekend reserve or guard commitments.

Contact: Jardine 102, phone 978-3672

  • Visit or contact the Registrars Office to officially withdraw from your classes. If you are having a friend or family member handle this for you, they must bring written instructions from you and evidence of your military status.
  • If your military activation is after the final withdrawal date for the term, you will be exempt from the requirement to appeal to the exceptions committee.
  • Any withdrawal must be processed before the end of classes for that semester.

Tuition and Fees, Account's Receivable Office
Contact: Jardine 201, 978-3333

  • After withdrawing from your classes, go to the Tuition & Fees, Account's Receivable Office
  • You will be asked to complete an exception form and provide a copy of your orders if they are not classified; if your orders are classified, you will need to show military identification.
  • Regardless of the date of your withdrawal, you will be eligible for a 100% refund of tuition & fees for the term.
  • If you received financial aid, the refund will be returned to the appropriate financial aid programs in accordance with our regular refund policy and federal regulations.
  • If the refund is to be issued to you, the refund check will be available as published in the semesters Schedule of Courses.

Financial Aid
Contact: Jardine 203, 978-3430

  • Unless you have questions about your financial aid, there is no need for you to contact the Office of Financial Aid prior to your deployment.
  • The Office of Financial Aid will obtain a copy of your exception form from the Tuition & Fees, Account's Receivable Office
  • Military related withdrawals will not adversely affect your financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress status.
  • When you return to WSU, we encourage you to meet with a financial aid counselor to discuss what special arrangements may be possible with respect to changes in your family's financial situation resulting from your active duty or deployment.

Contact: RSC, 978-3490

  • Show a copy of your military orders when you return your books. If you still have receipt, please bring it.

Contact: Fairmount Tower Commons, 978-3693

  • If you live on campus, the usual cancellation fee will be waived.
  • You will be obligated for expenses incurred during the time you are living in the residence hall, but will be refunded the amount paid for time you are not in residence.

Student Loans (lenders)

  • Borrowers should provide your lender(s) with documentation establishing that you are serving a period of full-time active duty status in the Armed Forces of the United States.