North End Mexican Churches
Our Lady of Perpetual Help: Mexican Catholic families attended church at the Our Lady of Perpetual Help at 23rd and Market. The early families were the founder of the church. The women of the church have always held food sales at the church to raise money for the church. They would cook their recipes and sell them at the church. The original church was constructed in 1927 and dedicated on November 28, 1927. (photo in Carolyn Benitez collection - CBC). In 1935 a elementary school has added (CBC). In 1937 a new and large church was built (CBC).
1940 First Communion - Courtesy of Antia Mendoza and the WSCHM
First Mexican Baptist Church: In 1919 the Baptist Church began missionary work in the Mexican community of the North End, with Rev. J. J. Cotta being name pastor. The First Mexican Baptist Church at 120 E 22nd Street was built in 1948 (CBC).
Courtesy of the WSCHM