Honors Options Contracts
Honors allows students to work with their instructors to earn Honors credit for most regular WSU classes. Because the Honors Option requires additional instructor time, the course instructor should
be a full-time employee of Wichita State (not an adjunct or Graduate Teaching Assistant).
Exceptions may be granted only with the permission of the instructor’s department chair and the Honors College Dean.
If you are interested in negotiating an Honors Option:
- Talk to the instructor teaching that course no later than the second week of class.
- Identify yourself as a student enrolled in the Honors College.
- Ask if the instructor would be willing to adapt the course curriculum to provide you with a project or experience to earn Honors credit for the course. The Honors Option Examples below help
answer the question, "What sorts of projects could I complete?
Apply the in-class knowledge to real-world experience, for example volunteering for backstage work in a local performance during a Fine Arts course.
Further studies, for example reading materials outside of your course material and sharing the research or interesting applications with the teacher and the class.
Teach a class, for example preparing a PowerPoint for one of the covered topics during the class, with instructor input.
Research, assist the professor with a small part of their research, or design a hypothetical research project that answers a question you have from the course.
- Should instructors have any questions, encourage them to contact the Honors College at email@example.com or (316) 978-3375.
Honors Options follow the philosophy of Honors: “not more work, more significant work.” While it is acceptable to construct an Honors Option that consists of extra homework or extra
readings, ideally we would like for you to consider ways that an Honors student can engage with the course material at a more complex or experiential level.
Honors Options can also give students the opportunity to engage in research, exploration, or investigation that goes beyond the boundaries of what can often be covered in the regular classroom
At the end of the semester, please:
- Submit the Honors student’s final letter grade as you would normally do for non-Honors students enrolled in the class.
- E-mail to the Honors College Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that the Honors student has successfully completed the Honors Option for the
The Honors College Dean will notify the Registrar’s Office, and an Honors designation will be added to the course on the student’s transcript.
Questions about an Honors Option? Email: email@example.com or call (316) 978-3375