2017-18 Peer Academic Leaders
Peer Academic Leaders (PALs) serve as mentors, provide a built-in support system, and enhance the sense of community within each Living Learning Community (LLC). The PAL contributes to the education of residents by serving as a role model and academic resource as well as by linking them to other important departments across campus. The PAL develops and maintains open lines of communication with faculty and staff involved as a liaison for the Office of Housing and Residence Life.
Duties include: building community, planning and implementing social and educational programming, serving as a connection between their college or department and residence life, working a four-hour desk shift, administrative responsibilities, etc.
To be considered for a Peer Academic Leader position, candidates must:
• Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with Wichita State
• Have a minimum GPA of 2.5 at the time of hiring as well as the duration of employment
• Have 24 credit hours completed prior to the academic term Summer 2017
• Be available for 15 hours of work per week
• Preferred to have spent at least one semester living in Shocker Hall or Fairmount Towers or other applicable experience
• Attend at least one of the Peer Academic Leader/Resident Assistant information sessions
If selected, Peer Academic Leaders will:
• Be required to attend Fall training in late July/early August
• Not hold an outside job, internship, or student teaching position without prior approval from a Residence Life Coordinator
• Be enrolled as a full-time student for the 2018-2019 Academic year
• Be required to live on campus in assigned room during the duration of employment
What is the compensation for a PAL?
Peer Academic Leaders compensation includes a single room within a four-bedroom private suite in Shocker Hall or a single room in a suite in Fairmount Towers. Please be aware that this package is reported to Financial Aid for FAFSA purposes. Domestic students may seek additional work on campus up to 15 hours a week while classes are in session. International students may seek additional work on campus up to 5 hours a week while classes are in session.
Housing and Residence Life
1845 Fairmount St. PO Box 141
Wichita, KS 67260-0141