Shocker Hall Staff 2015-16
Resident Assistants (RAs) serve as mentors, provide a built-in support system, and enhance the sense of community within the residence halls. RAs also manage incidents and handle some administrative tasks for each building. The RA’s primary goal is to shape an environment that supports academic, social, and personal development through responding to the personal needs of all residents in the community.
Duties include: building community, planning and implementing social and educational programming, serving on a duty rotation, working a two-hour desk shift if located in Shocker Hall, addressing residents conduct and concerns, administrative responsibilities, etc.
A Resident Assistant that lives on a Living Learning Community floor will also be required to meet with a coordinator for their Living Learning Community to plan an educational program relating to the focus area. These Resident Assistants will not be required to work a two-hour desk shift due to this additional requirement.
To be considered for a Resident Assistant position, candidates must:
• Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with Wichita State
• Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 at the time of hiring as well as the duration of employment
• Have 24 credit hours completed prior to the academic term Summer 2017
• Be available for 20 hours of work per week
• Preferred to have spent at least one semester living in Shocker Hall or Fairmount Towers or other applicable experience
• Attend at least one of the following Resident Assistant/Peer Academic Leader information sessions:
December 6, 2016 6:00pm – Shocker Hall Multiuse Room
December 8, 2016 7:00pm – Fairmount Towers Wheat Retreat
January 16, 2017 7:00pm – Shocker Hall Multiuse Room
January 17, 2017 8:00pm – Fairmount Towers Wheat Retreat
January 26, 2017 7:00pm – Shocker Hall Multiuse Room
January 27, 2017 8:00pm – Fairmount Towers Wheat Retreat
February 6, 2017 8:00pm – Shocker Multiuse Room & Fairmount Wheat Retreat
If selected, Resident Assistants will:
• Be required to attend Fall training tentatively starting July 30th, 2017
• Not hold an outside job, internship, or student teaching position without prior approval from a Residence Life Coordinator
• Be enrolled as a full-time student for the 2017-2018 Academic year
• Be required to live on campus in an assigned room during the duration of employment
Resident Assistants' compensation includes a single room within Shocker Hall or Fairmount Towers and a full meal plan. Please be aware that this package is reported to Financial Aid for FAFSA purposes. Domestic students may seek additional work on campus up to 10 hours a week while classes are in session. International students are only permitted to seek outside work when classes are not in session.
Resident Assistant Selection Timeline
Applications Due: February 10th by 5:00pm to the Fairmount/Shocker Information Desks or online to receive full consideration
Individual Interviews: February 20th – March 2nd
• Interviews will be conducted in 30 minute intervals with two Residence Life Coordinators and a Resident Assistant. Dress is professional.
Group Process Interview: March 4th
• Group process will last approximately 3 hours. All candidates that move on to this stage are required to participate. Dress is business casual.
Offer Letters: March 7th
• Applicants who are offered the position or an alternate position will be notified by campus email and will have until March 10th to accept/decline the Resident Assistant position
Fairmount Towers Staff 2015-16
Housing and Residence Life
1845 Fairmount St. PO Box 141
Wichita, KS 67260-0141