The George Pyle Fellowship is an endowed fellowship initiated in 1990 by members of the Wichita State University Managers Association, to honor George Pyle’s thirty-nine years of service in the field of city management. Upon his retirement in 1989, George Pyle had served as city manager of Hutchinson, Kansas for twenty-two years. The George Pyle Fellowship is intended to provide financial assistance to graduate students planning careers as city or county managers.
1. Applicants must be graduate students admitted in full standing to the Master of Public Administration program at Wichita State University, enrolled in the Graduate Certificate in City/County Management, and interested in pursuing a career in city or county government management. Recipients who are full time students must enroll in a minimum of nine graduate credit hours each semester; a minimum of six graduate credit hours each semester if a part time student. Recipients must maintain a minimum 3.0 grade point average.
2. The fellowship award will be equally divided between the fall and spring semesters. An average academic year fellowship award totals $1,200.
3. Selection is based on undergraduate record, demonstrated leadership abilities, and potential for a successful career in local management and public adminsitration. Selection will be made without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a veteran, or disability.
4. The recipient will be selected by the Director of the Hugo Wall School of Public Affairs, Wichita State University, in consultation with a three person steering committee appointed by the Preisdent of the Hugo Wall Advisory Board and the Hugo Wall School faculty.
5. Applications are due March 1 in the Hugo Wall School of Public Affairs to be considered for the following academic year. Application materials include: a completed application, a cover letter outlining the applicant’s interest in the fellowship award and career interests in city or county management, a résumé and two letters of recommendation.
These materials should be sent to:
Wichita State University Hugo Wall School of Public Affairs
Dr. Samuel L Brown, Director and Professor
1845 Fairmount St., Box 155
Wichita, KS 67260-0155