» Return to LAS Home

JPEG Image

Concurrent Enrollment Partnership Program

FAQs for Students

JPEG Image

Click on a subject area to see frequently asked questions and other information.



Differences between concurrent enrollment and accelerated programs

Q: What are the differences between concurrent enrollment, Advanced Placement and dual credit programs?
Please click on this link for an excellent synopsis of these programs for college-bound students.

Return to top of page


Student qualifications for participation

Q: What are the requirements for student participation in the concurrent enrollment partnership?
You must:

  • Be a sophomore, junior or senior in high school;
  • Have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or higher and a cumulative WSU GPA of 2.0 or higher if you've taken any WSU classes before;
  • Meet all additional prerequisites for specific courses. This may include ACT scores, passing the WSU department final, or achieving a minimum grade in the course. Check with your teacher for details; 
  • Complete the fall semester of any yearlong concurrent enrollment course with a grade of A or B.

Students must meet the above requirements at the time of the WSU enrollment visit. Each high school may set additional standards that exceed these requirements.

Return to top of page


English courses

Q: What are the prerequisites for English 101?
You must have an ACT-English score of 20 or above. Please take the ACT prior to the semester you wish to enroll. Scores must be on file at the time of the enrollment visit. English Placement Exam scores are not used for concurrent enrollment courses. 

Q: How do I get retroactive credit for English 101? I have an ACT-English score of 31.
First, do not enroll in English 101 for WSU credit. Once you enroll in another class through Wichita State (any class, including concurrent enrollment), you must contact the Counseling and Testing Center, (316) 978-3440, and ask that the retroactive credit be placed on your transcript. It will show on your WSU transcript with a notation of "TCrE," which indicates it is a test score credit. It is recorded as transfer work because it is credit for learning that did not occur through enrollment in a WSU course.

Not all schools will accept "TCrE" in transfer. It is always in your best interest to contact the major department at the school you want to attend and ask which classes and credit designations are accepted in transfer.

Q: What are the pre-requisites for English 102?
: You must complete English 101 with a WSU grade of C or better.

Return to top of page


Math courses

Q: Which math course should my students take?

  • College Algebra, Math 111, is the basic math course required of most majors at most institutions. This course is three (3) credit hours.
  • Pre-calculus, Math 112, is generally desirable for students who plan to study pre-medicine or pre-veterinary medicine, or take a future college-level calculus course. The course content includes college algebra and trigonometry. This course is five (5) credit hours.

Note: The basic math course for students majoring in engineering is Calculus I, Math 242, which Wichita State does not offer for concurrent enrollment.

Q: I have several questions about the math courses.

  • Should I take Math 111 this year and Math 112 next year?
  • Should I enroll in both Math 111 and Math 112?
  • I took Math 112. Should I now go back and take Math 111?
  • I took Math 111. I plan to attend WSU. Should I enroll in Math 112 next semester?

A: The answer to each of these scenarios is NO. You will receive credit in only one of the courses, regardless of when you might want to take them.

Q: Do I have to pass the math final?
Yes. It also counts for 30% or more of your semester grade.

Return to top of page


More questions about courses 

Q: Can I take any course for concurrent enrollment credit?
The availability of concurrent enrollment courses at each high school is dependent upon teacher qualifications and WSU department approval. The same course must also be offered on campus. 

Q: Will this course transfer?
Wichita State University credits are highly transferable, particularly with regard to the public colleges and universities in Kansas. However, each college and university has their own rules governing the acceptance of transfer credit. If credit is not accepted in transfer at XYZ University, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with WSU's course; more than likely the school doesn't have an equivalent course or has a limited number of elective credits they allow students to transfer.

It is always in your best interest to call the major department at the school you plan to attend as an on-campus student and ask if they will accept the credit in transfer.

Q: How do I add or drop a class?
Contact Cheryl Miller directly. Do not attempt to drop a class on your own. Students are not permitted to make schedule changes based on a level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction with their grades.

Q: My concurrent enrollment partnership class meets the entire academic year. What grade do I need at the end of the fall semester in order to enroll for WSU credit in the spring?
For any concurrent enrollment partnership class that meets the entire year, you must complete the fall semester with a grade of A or B in the course. Official enrollment in these courses is completed in the spring semester, following the posting of fall semester grades.

Return to top of page



Q: What is WSU's grading system?
Wichita State grades include A (excellent), B (good), C (satisfactory), D (unsatisfactory), F (failure), W (withdrawal), Cr (credit), NCr (no credit), S (satisfactory), U (unsatisfactory), I (incomplete), IP (in progress), NGS (no grade submitted), CrE (credit by examination) and Au (audit). Passing grades include A, B, C, D, Cr, CrE and S. The grades F, NCr, and U indicate that the quality of work was such that, to obtain credit, you must repeat regular coursework. A plus/minus grading system was adopted beginning fall 2009. It applies to grades of A, B, C and D.

Credit Points
For each hour of work the student takes, credit points are assigned, as follows, to permit averaging of grades:

A  = 4.000 A- =  3.700
B+ =  3.300 B =  3.000
B- =  2.700 C+ =  2.300
C =  2.000 C- =  1.700
D+ =1.300 D =  1.000
D- =  0.700 F= 0.00

B or better grade required: B- will fulfill this requirement unless otherwise indicated.

C or better grade required: C- will fulfill this requirement unless otherwise indicated.

Return to top of page


Grade Point Average 

The grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of credit points by the total number of credit hours completed for which regular letter grades (A, B, C, D and F) are assigned. The grades Au, W, I, Cr, NCr, S, U and CrE are always excluded from grade point average computations. Four GPAs, if applicable, appear on a transcript: Semester GPA, Total WSU GPA, Transfer GPA and Overall GPA. GPAs are calculated and applied to three decimal places, although only two decimal places print on the transcript. A degree grade point average is frozen at the time of graduation.

Q: How do I find out my grades?
After you sign into your myWSU account, click on the student resources tab and follow the links.

Q: Will my WSU grade be the same as my high school grade?
Not necessarily.

It is important that you do as well as you can in your courses. If you signed up for college credit, you will be graded according to instructions your teacher received from WSU. The grade you earn for WSU credit is the grade posted to your WSU transcript. The high school may grade the same class differently to determine the high school grade. If you have questions about your grade, please ask your high school teacher. 

Return to top of page



Q: When should I look at my online transcript?
As soon as the bill is posted. You need to sign into your myWSU account, click on the Student Resources tab and follow the links to confirm that your record is correct. You should not wait until you are nearing completion of your college degree. At that point it will be extremely difficult to make any corrections to your academic record.

A printed transcript is a certified copy of your permanent academic record. It contains confidential information and cannot be furnished/released without your signed, specific request. Transcripts may be ordered online at wichita.edu/registrar, in person at the registrar’s office, or by submitting a request form via mail or fax. Request forms and more detailed information are available at wichita.edu/registrar.

Q: Will WSU release my grades to my parents? They're paying for the class and say they have a right to know how I'm doing.
In accordance with Section 438 of the Familty Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, Wichita State will not release your grade information to your parents without your written consent, regardless of your age or even if your parents are paying the bill. 

Q: My teacher says my name doesn't appear on the class roster. Do you know why this happened?
This most often happens becasue an incomplete set of paperwork was turned in or there is a hold on your file. Contact Cheryl Miller at 978-6659 as soon as possible. 

Return to top of page


myWSU ID number and Shocker Card

Q: What is a myWSU ID number?
This is the identification number assigned to you by WSU that you must provide each time you conduct business with the university. It is used on all of your university paperwork and accounts. You also need it to activate your myWSU account.

For your convenience and safety, do not let someone else set up your account, and do not give anyone the password to your account.

Q: How do I find my own WSU ID number?JPEGImage
Your myWSU ID number is included in the letter you receive from the WSU Admissions Office after you have been admitted. Please memorize it. The letter will arrive in a yellow envelope with WuShock and "Hello, Future Shocker" on the front. You may also access it online through WSU System Access.

Q: How do I get my Shocker Card?

A: When you sign into your myWSU account and see that you are enrolled for the current semester, you should then go to the main or west campus to have your Shocker Card made. Please do not try to do this until your myWSU account indicates you are enrolled for the current semester.

Your Shocker Card will allow you to use Ablah Library, the Heskett Center and any other Wichita State resource. You may use it to get free tickets to the men's home basketball and baseball games, and to get discounts at area businesses and restaurants. There is no fee to have your Shocker Card made, but there is a $10 charge if you lose it and want to have it replaced. Replacement cards are made only on the main campus. 

Q: I know my ID but I can't log in. What am I doing wrong?
If you know your myWSU ID but are having problems logging into myWSU, call the Help Desk, 978-HELP.

Return to top of page


Tuition, fees and bill payment

Q: How much is this going to cost during 2013-2014?
Tuition and fees are required of every student as a condition of enrollment. For tuition purposes, a resident is someone who has lived in Kansas for twelve consecutive months prior to enrollment/re-enrollment and who has demonstrated, during those twelve months, the intent to make Kansas his/her permanent home. Non-resident students pay slightly more than 2.4 times the rate of tuition and fees beyond that of resident students. Some courses, such as those in business or chemistry, have additional fees. The table below shows the WSU tuition and fee schedule for resident undergraduate students:

Tuition—per credit hour $187.40
Student fee—per credit hour $37.55
Facilities Use Fee—per credit hour $4.80
University Registration Fee—per semester $17.00

Kansas residents enrolling in one three-credit hour concurrent enrollment partnership course should expect a minimum fees bill of $706.25; for a five-credit hour course, $1165.25; for two three-credit hour courses, $1395.50. Some courses, such as those in business and chemistry, have additional fees. 

Q: Are any scholarships available?
A: If you participate in the National School Lunch Program (which provides free or reduced-cost meals to qualified students) or the AVID program and meet all program and course pre-requisites for the concurrent enrollment partnership, you are eligible for scholarship money for Kansas-resident based tuition and fees for one of the following classes: Communication 111, English 101, English 102, Math 111 or Math 112. Students will receive WSU credit in either Math 111 or Math 112, but not both. The scholarship does not cover the $30 admission application fee, books, or class supplies, and may not be used for other Wichita State University courses. Talk with your counselor for more information.

Q: How will I know if I have a bill?
A: You must go online and access your billing account. Every student has a bill posted to his or her account that shows the amount of tuition and fees being charged. It is your responsibility to check your account and make sure that the enrollment and billing information is correct. Student accounts will be posted by the second week of February or the third week of September, whichever comes first.

Q: When will I get my bill?
You must go online and access your myWSU account to view and pay your bill.

Q: How do I access my bill?
To access your bill 

  • Login to myWSU for online payment or to print a copy of the bill.
  • Under the My Finances tab, click Student Account Suite.
  • Check that enrollment and charges are correct.
  • Click on the Payments tab at the top of the page.
  • Choose the payment option by clicking on the Make a Payment button.

Download this Getting Started Guide for more information.

Q: What happens if I don’t pay my bill?
It is very important that you pay your bill once it is posted. If you do not pay your bill, a financial hold will be placed on your file that will prevent you from conducting future business with the university.

Also, if you use the university payment plan, you must not miss any payments, or again, a financial hold will be placed on your file.

You will remain enrolled in the course even if you do not pay your bill. Any unpaid bills owed to WSU may be sent to a collection agency.

Q: Are there any late fees?
Yes. Students who are delinquent in paying a bill will be charged a $100 late fee.

Q: May I give permission to someone else to pay my bill online?
Yes. If you wish to give another person permission to pay your bill, click the Authorized Users tab and follow the prompts. From this page, you can give others the ability to access your account information.

In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, your student financial records may not be shared with a third party without your written consent. Adding an authorized user is your written consent that an individual may view your account information and make payments on your behalf. Please note that authorized users do not have access to your stored payment methods, academic records, or other personal information.

Q: May I use a credit card to pay my bill?
Yes. You may pay your tuition and fees bills online with a credit card and payments will be handled by TouchNet PayPath Payment Service. TouchNet will collect a processing fee of 2.75% that will be included in the total payment amount. For more information, please call the Office of Financial Operations and Business Technology at 978-3076.
Q: What is WSU’s payment plan?
If you owe more than $150.00, you may use the payment plan to make paying your tuition bill a little easier. Your bill will be split into three equal payments due October 15, November 15 and December 15 or March 15, April 15 and May 15, depending upon the semester of enrollment. There is a $30 administrative fee to use the installment payment plan, and it will be added to your bill.
Q: How do I sign up for the payment plan?
Use ink to fill out the university’s promissory note and also have a parent or legal guardian sign the form. Your counselor will have copies of the payment plan, and you will need to turn it in the day of the WSU concurrent enrollment visit.

Return to top of page

Program coordinator

Cheryl Miller is an assistant dean for Fairmount College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and coordinates the concurrent enrollment partnership program. You may contact her at cheryl.miller@wichita.edu or (316) 978-6659.

Return to top of page