» Return to LAS Home

JPEG Image

Concurrent Enrollment Partnership Program

FAQs for Counselors and Teachers

JPEG Image

Click on a subject area to see frequently asked questions and other information.


Differences between concurrent enrollment and accelerated programs

Q: What are the differences between concurrent enrollment, Advanced Placement and dual credit programs?
Please click on this link for an excellent synopsis of these programs for college-bound students.

Return to top of page


Teacher qualifications, approval and evaluation

Q: What are the credential requirements for teachers?
According to Kansas Board of Regents Policy, concurrent enrollment teachers must meet the following criteria:

  • demonstrate possession of a masters degree with 18 credit hours in the assigned course content, OR
  • demonstrate possession of a bachelors degree with at least 24 credit hours in the assigned course content, and use the same final examination as given in a representative on-campus section of the course, and apply the same scoring rubric for the course.

Q: What is the approval process for teachers?
To begin the approval process, teachers need to send their resume, syllabus and graduate transcripts to Cheryl Miller.

This information will be forwarded to the appropriate Wichita State department chair or coordinator. Teachers will be notified of the decision; not all teachers are approved. Wichita State may require additional coursework or training before a teacher may be approved to teach for concurrent enrollment credit.

Q: What kind of teaching evaluations are done?
We use the Student Perceptions of Teaching Effectiveness evaluation, administered by Wichita State's Social Sciences Research Lab. Wichita State department chairs may choose to use another form of evaluation, and if so, that information will be shared with the teacher.

The Kansas Board of Regents requires state-funded colleges and universities participating in concurrent enrollment partnerships to conduct teaching evaluations.

Q: I'm eligible for a stipend. How will I be paid?
You have a choice: you may request the stipend to be made payable to yourself, or you may have it donated to your high school department. If the stipend is payable to you, you will need to report the amount on your tax return.

Return to top of page


Class lists

Q: When will I get my class list?
You will be able to access your class list through your myWSU account. Please check the list carefully. If a student's name does not appear on the list, contact Cheryl Miller immediately at (316) 978-6659.

Q: My student's name doesn't appear on the class roster. Do you know why this happened?
This most often happens because an incomplete set of paperwork was turned in or there is a hold on the student's file. Contact Cheryl Miller at (316) 978-6659 immediately.

Return to top of page


Shocker Card, myWSU ID and grade entry

Q: How do I get my Shocker Card?
After you have been entered as the instructor of record for your concurrent enrollment course, go to the main campus to have your Shocker Card made. You will not be able to have it made at one of our center locations. There is no fee to get your Shocker Card, but there is a $10 replacement charge if you lose it and want to have it replaced.

You must have a Shocker Card before you will be able to enter grades.

Q: What is a myWSU ID number?
This is the identification number assigned to you by WSU. You will need it to activate your myWSU account and every time you conduct business with Wichita State, including when you enter grades.

For your convenience and safety, do not let someone else set up your account, and do not give anyone the password to your account.

Q: How do I find my own myWSU ID number?
You may access it online through WSU System Access.

Q: I know my ID but I can't log in. What am I doing wrong?
If you know your myWSU ID but are having problems logging into MyWSU, call the Help Desk, 978-HELP.

Q: How do I enter grades?
Please log into myWSU. In the upper right hand corner, look for the icon labeled EmpHelp. After clicking on it, select the Faculty and Advisors link and then choose the appropriate folder. Each teacher is assigned a Course Reference Number for each course they teach, and they must enter grades for their own students.

Return to top of page


Grading scale

Q: What is WSU's grading system?

Wichita State grades include A (excellent), B (good), C (satisfactory), D (unsatisfactory), F (failure), W (withdrawal), Cr (credit), NCr (no credit), S (satisfactory), U (unsatisfactory), I (incomplete), IP (in progress), NGS (no grade submitted), CrE(credit by examination) and Au (audit). Passing grades include A, B, C, D, Cr, CrE and S. The grades F, NCr and U indicate that the quality of work was such that, to obtain credit, the students must repeat regular coursework. A plus/minus grading system was adopted beginning fall 2009. It applies to grades of A, B, C and D.

Credit Points
For each hour of work the student takes, credit points are assigned, as follows, to permit averaging of grades:

A  = 4.000 A- =  3.700
B+ =  3.300 B =  3.000
B- =  2.700 C+ =  2.300
C =  2.000 C- =  1.700
D+ =1.300 D =  1.000
D- =  0.700 F  = 0.00

B or better grade required: B- will fulfill this requirement unless otherwise indicated.

C or better grade required: C- will fulfill this requirement unless otherwise indicated.

The grade recorded for credit earned by examination is TCrE and it is recorded on a student’s transcript after enrollment in the university. It is recorded as transfer work because it is credit for learning that did not occur through enrollment in a WSU course.

Grade Point Average 

The grade point average (also called grade point index) is computed by dividing the total number of credit points by the total number of credit hours completed for which regular letter grades (A, B, C, D, and F) are assigned. The grades Au, W, I, Cr, NCr, S, U, and CrE are always excluded from grade point average computations. Four GPAs, if applicable, appear on a transcript: Semester GPA, Total WSU GPA, Transfer GPA, and Overall GPA. GPAs are calculated and applied to three decimal places (truncated), although only two decimal places print on the transcript. A degree grade point average is frozen at the time of graduation.

Return to top of page


English courses

Q: What are the prerequisites for English 101?
Students must have an ACT-English score of 20 or above. Please encourage students to take the ACT prior to the semester they wish to enroll. Scores must be on file at the time of the enrollment visit. English Placement Exam scores are not used for concurrent enrollment courses.

Q: How does a student get retroactive credit for English 101? One of mine has an ACT-English score of 31.
First, do not have the student enroll in English 101 for WSU credit. Once he or she enrolls in another class through Wichita State (any class, including concurrent enrollment), they must contact the Counseling and Testing Center, (316) 978-3440, and ask that the retroactive credit be placed on their transcript. It will show on their WSU transcript with a notation of "TCRE," which indicates it is a test score credit.

Not all schools will accept "TCRE" in transfer. It is always in the student's best interest to contact the major department at the school they want to attend and ask which classes and credit designations are accepted in transfer.

Q: What are the pre-requisites for English 102?
Students must complete English 101 with a WSU grade of C or better.

Return to top of page


Math courses

Q: Which math course should my students take?

  • College Algebra, Math 111, is the basic math course required of most majors at most institutions. This course is three (3) credit hours.
  • Pre-calculus, Math 112, is generally desirable for students who plan to study pre-medicine or pre-veterinary medicine, or take a future college-level calculus course. The course content includes college algebra and trigonometry. This course is five (5) credit hours.

Note: The basic math course for students majoring in engineering is Calculus I, Math 242, which Wichita State does not offer for concurrent enrollment.

Q: I have several questions about the math courses.

  • Should my students take Math 111 this year and then Math 112 next year?
  • Should my students enroll in both Math 111 and Math 112?
  • My student took Math 112. Should he now go back and take Math 111?
  • My student took Math 111. She plans to attend WSU. Should she enroll in Math 112 next semester?

A: The answer to each of these scenarios is NO. Students will receive credit in only one of the courses, regardless of when they might want to take them.

Q: Do students have to pass the math final?
: Yes. It also counts for 30% or more of their semester grade.

Return to top of page


Other courses

Q: May we offer any course for concurrent enrollment?
The availability of concurrent enrollment courses at each high school is dependent upon teacher qualifications and WSU department approval. The same course must also be offered on campus.

Q: Will this course transfer?
Wichita State University credits are highly transferable, particularly in regards to the public colleges and universities in Kansas. However, each college and university has their own rules governing the acceptance of transfer credit. If credit is not accepted in transfer at XYZ University, it doesn't mean anything is wrong with WSU's course; more than likely the school doesn't have an equivalent course or has a limited number of elective credits they allow students to transfer.

It is always in the student's best interest to call the major department at the school they plan to attend as an on-campus student and ask if they will accept the credit in transfer.

Q: How do students drop a class?
Students must contact Cheryl Miller directly. Students should not attempt to drop a class on their own. Students are not permitted to make schedule changes based on a level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction with their grades.

Return to top of page


Student qualifications for participation

Q: What are the requirements for student participation in the concurrent enrollment partnership?
Students must:

  • Be a sophomore, junior or senior in high school;
  • Have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or higher and a cumulative WSU GPA of 2.0 or higher if any WSU classes have been taken previously;
  • Meet all additional prerequisites for specific courses. This may include ACT scores, passing the WSU department final, or achieving a minimum grade in the course.
  • Complete the fall semester of any yearlong concurrent enrollment course with a grade of A or B.

Students must meet the above requirements at the time of the WSU enrollment visit. Each high school may set additional standards that exceed these requirements.

Q: What do we need to prepare for the day of the visit?
Students will need to fill out the paperwork in advance and have a parent or legal guardian sign the program application form. The concurrent enrollment partnership coordinator will meet with the students in a group setting to give them information and answer questions.

Students should complete the following paperwork and turn it in the day of the enrollment visit:

  • $30 check made payable to WSU Admissions (for new students only)
  • Concurrent Enrollment Partnership Program application (all students)
  • Scholarship acceptance form (all students)
  • Installment plan form if the installment payment option is desired.

Packets of these forms will be sent to the schools approximately 3-4 weeks prior to the enrollment visit. Only one form is needed per student. Incomplete paperwork will delay the admission and enrollment process.

Return to top of page


General questions

Q: My concurrent enrollment partnership class meets the entire academic year. What grade do students need at the end of the fall semester in order to enroll for concurrent enrollment partnership credit in the spring?
For any concurrent enrollment partnership class that meets the entire year, students must complete the fall semester with a grade of A or B in the course. Official enrollment in these courses is completed in the spring semester, following the posting of fall semester grades.

Q: I have a gifted freshman in my class. May she take a concurrent enrollment class?
The Concurrent Enrollment Partnership Program is for high school sophomores, juniors and seniors only. Your student may want to instead enroll in an on-campus class at one of the Wichita State properties.

Q: One of my less confident students earned a good grade on the mid-term and I think they'll do well the rest of the semester. Can he add the class now?
Students are not permitted to add or drop classes based on a level of satisfaction or dissatisfaction with their grades.

Q: A few of my students say there is a hold on their file. How do they have it removed?
Holds are placed on a student's file when they have an unmet obligation. The most common hold concurrent enrollment partnership students encounter is the financial hold. If there is a financial hold on a student's file, have him or her call the Office of Financial Operations and Business Technology at (316) 978-3333. It is likely that the bill has not been paid in full.

Q: When can students get their Shocker Card?
When their bill appears online.

Return to top of page


Tuition, fees and bill payment

Q: How much is this going to cost during 2013-2014?
Tuition and fees are required of every student as a condition of enrollment. For tuition purposes, a resident is someone who has lived in Kansas for twelve consecutive months prior to enrollment/re-enrollment and who has demonstrated, during those twelve months, the intent to make Kansas his/her permanent home. Non-resident students pay slightly more than 2.4 times the rate of tuition and fees beyond that of resident students. Some courses, such as those in business or chemistry, have additional fees. The table below shows the WSU tuition and fee schedule for resident undergraduate students:

Tuition—per credit hour $187.40
Student fee—per credit hour $37.55
Facilities Use Fee—per credit hour $4.80
University Registration Fee—per semester $17.00

Kansas residents enrolling in one three-credit hour concurrent enrollment partnership course should expect a minimum fees bill of $706.25; for a five-credit hour course, $1165.25; for two three-credit hour courses, $1395.50. Some courses, such as those in business and chemistry, have additional fees. 

Q: Are any scholarships available?
A: If a student participates in the National School Lunch Program (which provides free or reduced-cost meals to qualified students) or the AVID program and meets all program and course pre-requisites for the concurrent enrollment partnership, they are eligible for scholarship money for Kansas-resident based tuition and fees for one of the following classes: Communication 111, English 101, English 102, Math 111 or Math 112. Students will receive WSU credit in either Math 111 or Math 112, but not both. The scholarship does not cover the $30 admission application fee, books, or class supplies, and may not be used for other Wichita State University courses. Talk with your counselor for more information.

Q: How will students know if they have a bill?
 Every student has a bill posted to his or her account that shows the amount of tuition and fees being charged. It is the student's  responsibility to check his or her account and make sure that the enrollment and billing information is correct. Student accounts will be posted by the second week of February or the third week of September, whichever comes first.

Q: When will students get their bills?
Students must go online and access their myWSU account to view and pay their bill.

Q: How do students access their bills?
Have the student:

  • Login to myWSU for online payment or to print a copy of the bill.
  • Under the My Finances tab, click Student Account Suite.
  • Check that enrollment and charges are correct.
  • Click on the Payments tab at the top of the page.
  • Choose the payment option by clicking on the Make a Payment button.

Download this Getting Started Guide for more information.

Q: What happens if a student doesn't pay their bill?
If a student does not pay their bill, a financial hold will be placed on their file that will prevent them from conducting future business with the university. They will remain enrolled in the course. If the student uses the university payment plan, they must not miss any payments, or again, a financial hold will be placed on their file.

Note: Any unpaid bills owed to WSU may be sent to a collection agency.

Q: Are there any late fees?
Yes. Students who are delinquent in paying a bill will be charged a $100 late fee.

Return to top of page



Q: When should students look at their transcripts?
As soon as the bill is posted and they have paid the bill. Students need to sign into their myWSU account, click on the Student Resources tab and follow the links to confirm that their record is correct. They should not wait until they are nearing completion of their college degree. At that point it will be extremely difficult to make any corrections to their academic record.

A transcript is a certified copy of a student’s permanent academic record. It contains confidential information and cannot be furnished/released without the student’s signed, specific request. Transcripts may be ordered online at wichita.edu/registrar, in person at the registrar’s office, or by submitting a request form via mail or fax. Request forms and more detailed information are available at wichita.edu/registrar.

No one, including spouse or parent, can request or pick up another person’s transcript without written authorization and proof of identity from that person. If a person still owes the university money, or has not returned borrowed university property, transcript services are withheld.

Return to top of page

Program coordinator

Cheryl Miller is an assistant dean for Fairmount College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and coordinates the concurrent enrollment partnership program. You may contact her at cheryl.miller@wichita.edu or (316) 978-6659.

Return to top of page