Woodwinds and Brass- DFAC Room TBA
Wednesday, August 19: 12:30 p.m. - 1:20 p.m.
Rhythm Section (Guitar, Drums, Piano, Bass) - DFAC Room C104
Tuesday, August 18: 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
It is to the advantage of all students to prepare for auditions as outlined in item numbers 1, 2 and 3 (saxophonists including 4) that follow. Item numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4 are required of all music majors and returning students. In the event that an incoming Freshman Student or Transfer Student has not or is unable to prepare item numbers 1 and 2, he/she will be asked to sight-read per item number 3. All students are asked to prepare to the best of his/her ability.
1. Etude: Be prepared to play a jazz etude or a be-bop head to displaying time feel and eighth note concept (i.e. Donna Lee, Confirmation, Ornithology)*
2. Improvisation: B-Flat Blues (woodwinds, brass, guitar)*
3. Sight Reading: All students will be asked to sight-read two (2) excerpts demonstrating swing and straight-eighth feels
4. Saxophonists should be prepared to demonstrate doubling abilities if capable of doing so
* Note: In lieu and in place of requirement #1-Etude and #2-Improvisation, students may elect to perform two jazz standards that include improvising at least two choruses, depending upon form length with Abersold recordings.
Sign-up for an audition time on the Bulletin Board located outside DFAC Room B111. Arrive at the audition at least 5 minutes early to complete the online Band Personnel Information prior to the audition. Auditions should take approximately 10 minutes.
Audition results will be posted Friday, August 21, on the Bulletin Board located outside of DFAC Room B111
Jazz Arts Ensemble Course Numbers:
Freshmen and Sophomores - Music P 211T
Juniors and Seniors - Music P 411T
Graduate Students - Music P 711T