Wichita State University Symphonic
The WSU Symphonic Wind Ensemble has been heralded as “one of the finest university bands in the nation,” receiving critical acclaim for its “musically emotional and technically detailed performances.” It has achieved this reputation through its national, regional and local convention and conference performances and invitations along with annually presenting concerts with conductors and soloists of international acclaim. Most recently the ensemble has performed at New York City’s famous and historic Carnegie Hall.
With a flexible instrumentation, the SWE regularly enrolls the finest graduate and undergraduate music majors and music minors in the WSU School of Music. While full band literature is the mainstay of the ensemble’s repertoire, there is a major-emphasis on ensemble literature for instrumentation from octets to 35-members from various historical genres and periods.
The SWE 65-student personnel is as follows: 16 graduate students, 20 seniors, 14 juniors, 10 sophomores, 5 freshmen. The Symphonic Wind Ensemble is open to any student in the university by audition, regardless of major, that can meet the ensembles rigorous performance standard.
Significant performances and invitations include:
• New York City Carnegie Hall (2011)
• College Band Directors National Association National Convention (2007-invitation, 1997)
• College Band Directors National Association Southwestern Division Convention (1996)
• American Bandmasters Association National Convention (2002)
• Music Educators National Conference (1996 and 1992)
• Kansas Music Educators Association In-Service Workshops (2010, 2005, 2003, 2000, 1996, 1994, 1992)
• Kansas Bandmasters Association (1996, 1993, 1992, 1992)
Symphonic Wind Ensemble Rehearsal Schedule
Every semester, the schedule for the Symphonic Wind Ensemble is as follows:
Mondays – 1:30 pm – 3:20 pm
Wednesdays – 1:30 pm – 3:20 pm
Fridays – 1:30 pm – 2:20 pm
For students interested in performing in both the Symphonic Wind Ensemble and the WSU Symphony Orchestra or Concert Band, the rehearsals for these ensembles do not conflict.
Symphonic Wind Ensemble Audition Information
Please don't forget to check out Course Enrollment Information as well as Audition Requirements.