January 26th and 27th 2018 marks a new “beginning” for the Wichita State University High School Honor Band. This program was established many years ago and has been dormant for a while. Myself and my wonderful colleagues in the WSU School of Music are thrilled to again offer this experience for the outstanding students in our region. This two-day venture aims to bring students from many different programs together for an intense and inspiring weekend of music making. Dr. Timothy Shade, Director of Bands and Dr. Steve Oare, Associate Professor of Music Education will lead the ensembles in what promises to be an engaging experience for all students involved.
The process for nominating students for the festival is as follows:
1. The nomination process is web-based (paperless). Please use the on-line form found at the link below to nominate each student for the festival. Students should only be nominated if they can fulfill all of the responsibilities for the festival, which means being in full attendance for both days of the festival. Students will not be excused for activities outside of the festival. The nomination deadline is Friday, December 1st, 2017.
2. Directors and Students will be notified by December 18th as to their respective acceptance. In that acceptance letter there will be a link to submit participation fees. Participation fees for the 2018 WSU Honor Band are $50.00. Once again, they are to be submitted AFTER notification of acceptance.
3. Once accepted students should navigate to the WSU Bands website at the link below for retrieval of the audition material for seating auditions on the first day of the festival.
Other important info:
1. Students are responsible for their own travel to and from the WSU Honor Band. Three meals will be provided, lunch and dinner on Friday and lunch on Saturday. Dinner on Saturday will need to be handled by the students. Please see the enclosed schedule for the exact times for all events.
2. Each student is required to provide their own instruments and accessories (mouthpieces, reeds, oils, etc.) and also bring a music stand for rehearsals.
3. All participating students will take part in a masterclass from the WSU applied faculty on Friday afternoon.
4. Rehearsals are open to all directors and parents.
5. All rehearsals will be held on the campus of Wichita State University (C104, Miller Concert Hall, CAC Theater)
We VERY MUCH look forward to hosting you and your students for the Wichita State University Honor Band Festival. Please feel free to contact us with any questions – email@example.com - (316)-978-6424.
Friday, January 26th, 2018
8:00am-9:00am Registration and Warm-up (DFAC Lobby & Practice Rooms)
9:00am-11:00am Seating Auditions (WSU Faculty Studios)
11:00am-12:00pm Welcome Meeting, Seating, and Read-through
12:00pm-1:00pm Lunch at Shocker Hall
1:00pm-2:20pm Rehearsal #1 (C104, Miller Concert Hall, CAC Theater)
2:30pm-3:20pm Masterclasses w/WSU Faculty (Rooms TBA)
3:30pm-5:30pm Rehearsal #2 (C104, Miller Concert Hall, CAC Theater)
6:30pm-7:30pm WSU Wind Ensemble “Inside” Performance
7:30pm-9:00pm Rehearsal #3
Saturday, January 27th, 2018
10:00am-12:00pm Rehearsal #4 (C104, Miller Concert Hall, CAC Theater)
1:00pm-3:00pm Rehearsal #5
3:00pm-4:00pm WSU Chamber Recital
4:00pm-5:30pm Dress Rehearsals
7:00pm Concert Warm-up
7:30pm Final Concert!!