II. Policy Statement1. The service or sale of cereal malt beverages (3.2% beer) and/or alcoholic liquor (which includes beer) is permitted at approved indoor events held in the President's Residence, McKnight Atrium (1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors only), Ulrich Museum of Art (1st and 2nd floors only), CAC Theater, Rhatigan Student Center, Beggs Hall Lobby, Devlin Hall Lobby, Wiedemann Hall Lobby, Duerksen Fine Arts Center (Miller Concert Hall Lobby only), Wilner Commons, Shocker Studios, Morrison Hall, Grace Memorial Chapel, Marcus Welcome Center, Woodman Alumni Center, Hughes Metropolitan Complex (Roger Lowe Auditorium Lobby, Room 132 and Room 180 only), Experiential Engineering Building and all athletic facilities. Additionally, outdoor locations for approved events with alcoholic liquor include the Duerksen Fine Arts Center Amphitheater; Ulrich Museum of Art Patio; Rhatigan Student Center Courtyard and Patio; Parking Lots 1N, 1S, 6, 7, 16, 16S, 21, and 21W; and the throwing fields and all other outdoor athletic facilities.
2. Requests to serve cereal malt beverages and/or alcoholic liquor at a location listed above must be submitted a minimum of two weeks and approved by the University's General Counsel as the President's designee in advance of the event. The request for written approval will include the written procedures developed by the University Division or affiliated corporation of the University associated with the location and event. If approval is being sought for more than a single event, details describing the request for continuing approval should be explained in the submission for written approval.
3. When approved, consumption of cereal malt beverages and/or alcoholic liquor is permitted only within the approved area designated for the event. Care must be taken by event organizers to ensure that cereal malt beverages and/or alcoholic liquor will not be served or sold to people who are not of legal age or appear to be intoxicated.
4. At all times the marketing, serving, sale and/or consumption of cereal malt beverages and/or alcoholic liquor must be in full compliance with all applicable state statutes, municipal ordinances, University policies, and other regulations.
5. The sale, distribution, service and/or consumption of cereal malt beverages and/or alcoholic liquor on the University campus in any circumstances other than the above is prohibited unless approved by the University's General Counsel as the President's designee.
6. Generally, alcohol is not allowed in University managed housing but alcohol may be possessed by individuals, 21 years of age and older, in designated areas of Fairmount Towers and The Flats, only after written approval for continuous use in designated areas is requested by Fairmount Towers and The Flats and is approved by the University's General Counsel as the President's designee.
7. This policy does not apply to any indoor events in buildings owned or leased by a third party not affiliated with the University or outside locations immediately adjacent to property leased from the University or an affiliate of the University by a third party unaffiliated with the University.
8. Cereal malt beverages and/or alcoholic liquor must be served by a food service provider approved by the Food Service Committee or a professional catering service and the provider/service will be required to provide proof of liability insurance designating the host of the event, the University, and its affiliated corporations as a named insured. The written proof of liability insurance should be included with the request for written approval.
9. Wichita State University prohibits the use, possession, manufacturing, distribution, or sale of cereal malt beverages and/or alcoholic liquor by or to any individual under the age of 21.
10. Violations of state law and/or University policies on the part of groups or individuals will be handled in accordance with applicable law enforcement or university disciplinary procedures and services regarding alcohol education and abuse prevention programs.
March 29, 2001
May 1, 2002
October 6, 2003
September 15, 2011
November 1, 2012
June 5, 2017