The purpose of this statement is to set forth University policy with regard to requests to sponsor, arrange and hold scheduled events or activities on University property near or adjacent to Koch Arena and/or the Levitt Athletic Complex, Cessna Stadium, Eck Stadium/Home of Tyler Field, and the Heskett Center intramural fields, in connection with intercollegiate athletic contests.
The University occasionally receives inquiries and requests from colleges and universities, or entities associated with those colleges and universities, i.e., alumni associations, foundations, booster groups, etc., to sponsor, arrange and hold activities or events in connection with the colleges and universities' involvement in intercollegiate athletic contests at Wichita State University athletic venues (hereinafter generically referred to as "tailgating events"). The purpose of this statement is to enunciate University policy in regard to requests for such tailgating events in order to protect University facilities and to seek to assure the safety of participants.
1. Tailgating events may only be held in areas designated by
the University and during times approved by the University. Decisions
regarding athletic venues and areas immediately adjacent
thereto, including parking lots, will be made by the Director of
Intercollegiate Athletics. Decisions regarding the Heskett Center
intramural fields will be made by the Director of the Heskett Center.
2. Tailgating events must be approved and sponsored by a college or university which has entered into an agreement for the use of a Wichita State University athletic venue in connection with a scheduled game, or approved and sponsored by an entity officially associated with the college or university.
3. No tents or tent stakes may be used on University parking lots.
4. Cereal malt beverages may be served at tailgating events; provided, however that no kegs or glass bottles are permitted.
5. All tailgating events must be in full compliance with applicable laws and University policies and procedures, including the University's policy on cereal malt beverages (see Section 11.07).
6. Sponsors of tailgating events shall control the service of
cereal malt beverages by using bartenders or having specific
individuals designated to take responsibility for the service of said
cereal malt beverages.
7. Sponsors of tailgating events must take responsibility for
the wholesomeness and safety of any food items served or
provided. Sponsors are encouraged to use the University's
designated athletic venue concessionaires or the University's
designated food service provider.
8. No bonfires or other open fires are permitted.
This policy shall be included in the WSU Policies and Procedures Manual and shared with appropriate constituencies of the University.
The Director of Intercollegiate Athletics shall have primary responsibility for publication, dissemination and implementation of this University policy.
February 14, 2005
May 19, 2005