In order to have a prudent and responsible plan of response to emergency or crisis situations involving death, serious injury, destruction of University physical plant or that threaten continued operation of the University, the following crisis management plan is hereby adopted and put in place.
1. The University shall have an Executive Policy and Decision Team made up of the President, the Provost and Senior Vice President, the Vice President for Administration and Finance, the Vice President for Student Affairs and the General Counsel. The General Counsel shall serve as primary coordinator of Team activities with each member being responsible, during a declared crisis situation, for arranging communication with, and facilitating operations by, their particular division. The Executive Policy and Decision Team shall, to the extent reasonably possible, establish and maintain communications with the President during any period when the President is away from campus or Wichita.
2. Only the President or an officially designated member of the Executive Policy and Decision Team (after first conferring with the President, if possible) shall have authority to declare a University crisis situation.
3. Crisis situations would include, but not necessarily be limited
to, the following: physical destruction of one or more campus buildings or
facilities, including data processing capabilities [weather or natural
disaster, bomb, fire, chemical explosion]; any situation on campus where
individuals are injured or killed [weather or natural disaster, laboratory
explosion, fire, construction accident]; actual or threatened criminal
violence on campus [workplace violence, hostage situation]; a death in a
University building or residence hall [suicide, accident, criminal
violence, weather or natural disaster]; or an accident or incident
involving a University group or activity which results in death or serious
injury [transportation of students or athletic team].
4. The Executive Policy and Decision Team shall approve overall priorities and strategies; approve public information reports and instructions; and act as liaison with governmental and external organizations.
1. The Executive Policy and Decision Team will coordinate and work
with existing University groups and committees as appropriate and required
to put the University in the best possible situation to be prepared and
address foreseeable crisis situations. The Team will designate specific
committees to assist with assigned tasks and assignments, including, but
not limited to, a "Critical Incident Planning Group," a "Business
Continuity Committee," a "Behavior Intervention Team," a "Communications
Team" and a "Health Risk Assessment Committee."
2. The Executive Policy and Decision Team shall work to achieve
compatibility with the doctrines and methods expressed in the National
Incident Management System (NIMS), the Incident Command System (ICS), the
National Response Plan (NRP), Homeland Security Directives, and Kansas
Executive Order 05-03.
3. The Executive Policy and Decision Team shall work to establish
open channels of communication between the University and local fire,
police, emergency and counseling services, including collaboration with
local crisis responders on anticipated actions in event of a crisis at the
University or in the community of Wichita.
4. The Critical Incident Planning Group will initiate training
programs and requirements for all University employees and make regular
reports to the Executive Policy and Decision Team.
5. The Critical Incident Planning Group will initiate testing of
all existing crisis notification/communication systems on a regular basis
and make regular reports to the Executive Policy and Decision Team.
6. The Critical Incident Planning Group will initiate
situation-specific drills and/or "table-top" exercises to:
7. The Executive Policy and Decision Team will develop and maintain procedures and an "action plan" to carry out and implement its duties under this policy.
8. The Executive Policy and Decision Team will meet at least two (2) times during each twelve (12) month period to review its readiness to respond to any particular crisis situation and to update, as required, its developed procedures and "action plan."
9. Members of the Executive Policy and Decision Team will keep
current telephone numbers on file with the President's Office, the
University Police Department and the University Communications Office.
10. The Behavior Intervention Team shall establish and implement
campus threat assessment procedures and resources.
Responding to a Crisis Situation
1. Upon the declaration of a University crisis situation, members
of the Executive Policy and Decision Team shall meet immediately, said
meeting to be on campus if possible, in one of the several previously
identified locations (said location to be dependent upon the particular
nature of the declared crisis). The members of the Team shall be guided by
the following principles:
3. The Executive Policy and Decision Team shall, as soon as
reasonably feasible, initiate communications with and to all appropriate
constituencies utilizing some or all of the following technologies: text
messaging, email blasts, digital communications, webpage(s), existing
weather sirens, telefacsimile transmissions, telephone, walkie-talkie,
etc. The Team should, at all times, strive to authorize and/or provide:
This policy shall be included in the WSU Policies and Procedures Manual and shall be shared with all appropriate constituencies of the University.
The General Counsel shall have primary responsibility for publication and distribution of this University policy.
December 1, 1999
July 1, 2006
January 14, 2008
February 29, 2008
February 6, 2009
(See also Emergency Response and Evacuation at Section 20.21 of this manual.)