The University receives numerous requests from outside the University community relative to proposed usage of the University's name, the University seal and University logos and/or marks. The University considers its name, seal, logos and marks, whether registered or not, to be University property and subject to University control relative to usage. This policy is designed to provide guidance to University officials and to those interested in usage as to how usage will be controlled. See also the WSU Visual Identity Standards Manual (http://www.wichita.edu/visualstandards) for specific instructions and guidelines for consistent and appropriate use of the University's name, the University seal and University logo and/or marks as they relate to all forms of University communications.
1. Faculty, staff and students are encouraged to use the name of the University and to use University stationery for official correspondence.
2. Faculty, staff and students should not use the name of the University in any announcement, advertisement, publication, or report involving personal or unofficial activities, if such usage could be construed as implying University endorsement of any product, project or service.
3. Requests from outside the University for use of the University seal should be directed to the General Counsel.
4. Requests from outside the University for commercial use or exploitation of the University name or University logos or marks should be directed to the Athletic Director or the Athletic Director's designee.
5. Requests for use of the University name to indicate an existing or previous business relationship should be directed to the General Counsel. Such requests may be granted, subject to the following parameters:
This policy shall be included in the WSU Policies and Procedures Manual and shared with appropriate constituencies of the University.
The General Counsel shall have primary responsibility for publication, dissemination and implementation of this University policy.
November 1, 2001
February 1, 2010
(Regarding Use of University Name,
see also Commitment
of Time, Conflict of Interest, Consulting, and Other Employment at
Section 3.04 of this manual.)