It is recognized that a multi-passenger van (hereinafter "Van" or "Vans") will often be the most effective means of transportation for certain activities and events involving University employees and/or students. This policy statement is intended to implement uniform standards of usage in an effort to maximize the safety of those utilizing the Van.
1. All Van usage must be in compliance with applicable municipal, state and federal requirements and applicable University policies.
2. Van drivers must be full-time employees of the University, have an appointment as a graduate assistant, or be employed as a Coach of a University sports club operating under the auspices of the Heskett Center.
3. Van drivers must complete training/safety class[es] provided through the University Police Department prior to the operation of a Van.
4. No driver should operate a Van more than ten hours in any twenty-four period. The Van driver must take a mandatory thirty minute rest break every four hours.
5. The Van driver will be personally responsible for any and all traffic or parking citations, tickets or fines received while operating a Van.
6. All occupants of the Van must use a seat belt at all times of operation.
7. No Van will be used to transport or carry more than its listed capacity (including the driver) at any one time.
8. A Van may only be used when the final destination is within seven hundred miles of Wichita.
9. No Van may be used to tow a trailer.
10. No luggage may be stored on top of a Van.
11. This policy is applicable to the usage of all Vans, whether owned, rented or leased by the University.
This policy shall be included in the WSU Policies and Procedures Manual and shared with appropriate constituencies of the University.
The Vice President for Administration and Finance shall have primary responsibility for publication, dissemination and implementation of this University policy.
June 19, 2001
August 7, 2001
January 25, 2005
February 15, 2006
November 1, 2006