The Kansas Board of Regents adopted a Sustainability Policy at its meeting of October 15-16, 2008, which stated that the policies, practices and programs of the state universities governed by the Board of Regents should, when possible, embody approaches that reduce life cycle costs, restore and maintain the functioning natural systems, and enhance human well-being.
1. The University will work with faculty to incorporate issues of sustainability into the learning experiences of students throughout their academic experiences.
2. The University will work with students, faculty and
staff to infuse sustainability principles into the organization of
3. The University shall comply with all relevant
environmental laws and regulations.
4. The University will seek to integrate values of
sustainability, stewardship and resource conservation into
activities and services.
5. The University will evaluate the impact of its
conservation projects; incorporate green building and design
methods as feasible; and consider the impact of planning decisions
on future generations.
6. The University will develop sustainability goals that
will inform institutional planning, decision-making, assessment
7. The University shall conscientiously share the
knowledge, awareness, and expertise generated by its engagement
with sustainability in accordance with its mission and role in
serving society as a whole.
1 Board Policy defines sustainability as "societal efforts to meet the needs of present users without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. Sustainability presumes that the planet's resources are finite, and should be used conservatively, wisely and equitably. Decisions and investments aimed to promote sustainability will simultaneously advance economic vitality, ecological integrity and social welfare."
This policy shall be included in the WSU Policies and Procedures Manual and shared with appropriate constituencies of the University.
The Provost and Senior Vice President shall have primary
responsibility for publication, dissemination and implementation
of this University policy.
October 1, 2009