The Kansas Board of Regents adopted a requirement that each "... University shall specifically address and adopt procedures for the mandatory reporting, to appropriate law enforcement agencies, of any child sexual abuse witnessed by staff or faculty. For purposes of this provision, child sexual abuse means those crimes defined in K.S.A. 21-5501 et seq. that relate to minors as victims." This policy statement has been promulgated in response to this Board of Regents requirement.
1. The reporting obligations of those University employees who are currently required by state law or federal law, by virtue of their professional or employment responsibilities, to report situations where they suspect that a child has been harmed as a result of physical, mental or emotional abuse or neglect or sexual abuse remain unchanged and are not impacted by this policy statement.
2. All University employees are required to report any incident of child sexual abuse which they witness or is reported to them by another who witnessed such an incident occurring on University property or in connection with a University event or activity. Reports should be made as soon as possible to an appropriate law enforcement agency, including the Wichita State University Police Department or a local law enforcement agency or both.
3. For purposes of this policy, "sexual abuse" should generally be considered as any contact or interaction with a child in which the child is being used for sexual stimulation of the perpetrator, the child or another person. Sexual abuse shall include, but not be limited to, those crimes defined in K.S.A. 21-5501 et seq. that relate to minors as victims; acts done or submitted to with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of either the child or the perpetrator, or both; or allowing, permitting or encouraging a child to engage in prostitution or to be photographed, filmed or depicted in pornographic material.
4. For purposes of this policy, a child is anyone under the age of
5. For additional information related to sexual misconduct and
campus violence, also see Section
3.33, and Section
This policy shall be included in the WSU Policies and Procedures Manual and shared with appropriate constituencies of the University.
January 9, 2012
March 25, 2016