Wichita State University fully recognizes and honors the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA). We value the leadership and unique skills Veterans bring to the workforce. We are committed to providing Veterans employment opportunities throughout our organization. This policy supports that commitment. Furthermore, as a contractor required to develop a written Affirmative Action Program (AAP), this policy supports our organization's compliance with Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) in achieving our hiring benchmark goal established for veteran employment.
1. Wichita State University is committed to being a veteran friendly workplace.
2. To be considered for veteran's preference an applicant must
submit a complete and legible member copy 4 of their DD214 to the
University Office of Human Resources (OHR) for verification. Uploading the
DD214 to an application does not meet this requirement; it must be sent to
and verified by OHR. DD214's can be submitted by fax to 316-978-3201 or by
email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
After submitting your DD214 to OHR it is not necessary to submit it with
3. For purposes of this policy, to be awarded veterans preference for job consideration at WSU one must:
Have received an honorable discharge
A) Have served on active duty for a minimum of three years in either the regular service or the National Guard or Reserves (as annotated on the DD214)
B) Have a service connected medical discharge with a minimum disability of 10% (as annotated on the DD214 or official Veterans Administration documentation)
C) Have received a campaign medal (as annotated on the DD214)
D) Have received a general discharge and be willing to provide an explanation of circumstances pertaining to general discharge.
4. Veterans with preference are not guaranteed jobs, but are guaranteed first level interviews if they meet all the minimum job requirements for the position applied. It is the University's intent to include in the interview process as many as possible who have served our country. As such the above is the minimum expectation.
5. Applicants meeting criteria to be considered for veteran's
preference will show an applicant status of "Veteran's Preference" in the
People Admin applicant tracking system. This information will be seen by
the appropriate search chair or search committee for consideration in the
application process according to paragraph 4.
This policy shall be included in the WSU Policies and Procedures Manual and shared with appropriate constituencies of the University.
September 8, 2014
March 25, 2016